Wednesday, November 01, 2006

And we now have a hobby

Not quite the way I originally planned on learning how to do this. I really wanted to see if I could grow the grapes myself and raise it from the beginning to the end but heck, we all gotta learn things somehow. So for now its kitchen sink version and small batches (doing a 1 gallon to start).

Has a potential to be a 13.9% by volume, which is apparently lofty for a first timer like me (per the hippy in the wine shop)As is doing a first wine from grapes not concentrate (will try one of those too, just to see) but hey, aim high or do not shoot.



Today I made a 1 gallon batch of Zin. It will spend 10 days fermenting in the bucket before I have to move it through a syphon into the glass jug next to it. Then its a 3 month process of moving it back and forth to remove sediment. But 4 months or so from now I will get 5 bottles of my own Zin from this. Once I clear the bucket i am thinking of trying a pinot/merlot blend, not like its too time consuming minus squishing grapes.



This is going to be a good lesson for me. Its really hard for me to be patient with things. I am one of those, decide, do, types. Once I make the decision then let's get on with it. Well this requires ALOT of patience. And believe you me, I wanna bottle the stuff now and get to the sampling, but it has to sit, it has to ferment, it has to mature. Guess I am more a batch of wine, not a bottle. The yeast tickles. The sitting and fermenting kills. But heck, you gotta age it, otherwise there would be no vintage wines out there. Still wish I had at least a sip of the 96 silver oak, my previous piece of patience and waiting.

Chateau C&C hate factory is now up and running.

Pass the cheese, who needs a re-fill

3 Comments:

At 10:35 AM, Blogger Bound for Ceiba said...

neato!

 
At 3:18 PM, Blogger rita said...

that's amazing. Good luck with it! Keep us updated!

 
At 10:22 AM, Blogger Liar_Liar said...

Thank you rita.

It was kinda fun too, the waiting is killing me though.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home